Drinks spiked with alcohol or drugs can make a person seriously vulnerable. Spiking someone’s drink carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence in the UK.

Anyone can be a victim of spiking and it is not always connected to sexual assault.
If you do think you have also been a victim of sexual assault you can find out further information here: I have experienced sexual violence - Report + Support - Robert Gordon University (rgu.ac.uk)

Drink Spiking is when a substance is added to a drink without the drinker's knowledge or consent to make them vulnerable. This could be recreational/party drugs, such as Ecstasy and LSD, and/or other drugs such as Rohypnol (Roofie) and Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB), being added to drinks and which can sedate/incapacitate a person. It could also be additional shots of alcohol being added to drinks without the persons knowledge or consent to make them stronger. It is hard to tell if a drink has been tampered with, as these drugs can be odourless, colourless and tasteless. 

Injection Spiking is when a drug is administered directly into a person via a needle without the persons knowledge or consent to make them vulnerable. Injection Spiking can pose additional health risks due to its use of a needle. Reports of this method of spiking are rare however Police Scotland have recently begun conducting enquiries following a handful of reports across the country. We encourage students to be vigilant and to contact the emergency services (999) and/or NHS (111) if you think you have been spiked by injection. 

Spiking can be done for a variety of reasons, which could include theft, sexual assault, rape or even done as a "prank/joke". However, administering a substance to a person without their knowledge or consent is likely to be considered a criminal act and any student reported to have carried out this kind of activity shall be liable to criminal proceedings and/or disciplinary proceedings from the Union/University. 

Some effects of substances can be felt/seen relatively quickly (after 15-30mins) and some symptoms can last for several hours. If you, or your friend, feel strange, not normal and/or are noticeably more drunk than what you would consider usual for the amount of alcohol consumed, then seek assistance straight away - contact a trusted friend or relative (or NHS 24 or the Police) 

We encourage students to remain vigilant when out partying. When having nights out or socials, aim to inform trusted friends or relatives where you are going and when you'll be back, and always think twice before accepting drinks (or other substances) from strangers wherever possible. 



Anti-Spiking Caps 

Rape Crisis Grampian have supplied the Union with Anti-Spiking Caps which seal bottles to prevent pills and illicit substances being slipped into a drink. They still allow for use of a straw, and they are brightly coloured and glow under UV light. 

RGU:Union, courtesy of Rape Crisis Grampian, can provide Anti-Spiking Caps free of charge. 

Click here to order Anti-Spiking Caps

CYD Spiked Drink Test 

'Check Your Drink' Spiked Drink Tests can be used to test drinks for traces of illicit substances. The tests work by dabbing a finger/straw/stirrer into a drink, putting a drop of liquid onto a test patch and checking for a colour change. 

RGU:Union provides CYD Spiked Drink Tests free of charge. 

Click here to order CYD Spiked Drink Tests


If you need assistance on a night out because you think you, or a friend, has been spiked, try to: 
  • Tell a bar manager, bouncer or member of staff
  • Speak with a trusted friend or relative (or a medical professional/NHS 24 or the Police) and get to a safe place. Stay with them and keep talking to them. 
  • Do not go home alone or leave the venue with someone you don’t know/recently met or don't trust 
  • Do not drink more alcohol as this could lead to more serious problems
  • For urgent help, call the emergency services on 999.
  • If feeling unwell, ask a trusted friend or relative to take you to the nearest A&E.
  • Make a report to the Police as soon as you can (most drugs leave the body within 72 hours of being taken and some in as little as 12 hours).
One of the effects of date rape drugs can be amnesia, or loss of memory. That means it’s possible that you won’t be sure if you’ve been assaulted. But if you suspect you’ve been physically or sexually assaulted it’s important to tell someone. Try to confide in someone you trust like a friend or family member.
If you think you may have been sexually assaulted please see our support information here.


If you think you have had a drink spiked or feel you're in danger you should contact the police.

Please report your concerns to Police Scotland at your local police station. You can also call the police non-urgently to report something of concern or even discuss a situation on 101, online or via 999 if it is an emergency.

You can also report the incident anonymously by calling crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111

  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. The purpose of this system is to provide support in the event of sexual violence or harassment. You can also choose to make an anonymous report.
  • First Responder Scheme. Our support also system includes specially trained members of Robert Gordon University’s staff who can listen and offer support.
  • Student Counselling & Wellbeing Centre. The Counselling & Wellbeing Centre is here to help and support you throughout your time at University.

  • RGU Nightline is an anonymous, confidential, non-judgemental and non-advisory listening and information service run for students by students. Call: 01224 26 36 46. Lines are open 8pm to 8am Tues, Wed, Fri & Sat during term time.
  • Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. You don't have to be suicidal. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Breathing Space where experienced advisors will listen and offer information and advice. Call their Helpline number: 0800 83 85 87 Opening hours: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am
  • Victim Support Scotland Victim Support Scotland helps provides information, emotional support and practical assistance to help people affected by crime, including victims, witnesses and their families and friends. Free support helpline: 0800 160 1985 (8am-8pm, Mon-Fri)
  • Four Pillars – Supporting Grampians LGBT+ Community (fourpillarsuk.org)
  • Mental Health Aberdeen | MHA  local mental health and counselling services.
  • Penumbra - Supporting Scotland's Mental Health a charity providing dedicated services for people experiencing mild to serious and enduring mental ill health.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened