WHAT IS SEXUAL VIOLENCE? You can read more about what sexual violence is.

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted:

  • You are not to blame. The person who raped or assaulted you is to blame
  • You do not have to cope alone
  • There are many support services which can help you. They know how difficult it is for people to come forward. They will respect you and believe you


Make yourself safe

If you are at home or in the home of someone else – has the attacker gone? If not, can you make yourself safe, contact a friend or family member or call the police? If you are in any danger or seriously injured call 999 immediately.

If possible, try and find somewhere you feel safe.

If you need a safe space or support from the University, on or off campus, call the Emergency Response Team on 07854 199020.

This number is available 24 hours a day for University Staff, University Students or other informants who need to report a serious incident that requires immediate and urgent response by the University.

The Safe Taxi Scheme. This scheme has been set up so that students can get home safely - if you don't have any cash, you can pay the fare the next day. Call Rainbow City Taxis on 01224 878787 and order a taxi using the 'Safe Taxi' account name, and tell the operator your University and your student number.

Do you have any injuries?

If you have any physical symptoms after an assault you should seek medical help.

If this is more than a very minor injury, or if you were unconscious for even a short time, you should go to Accident and Emergency. If you can, it may be helpful to bring a friend or family member with you.

It is up to you how much information you provide, but the hospital staff will be able to offer you better advice if they are aware of the circumstances.

Your sexual health

If you have experienced an assault you should contact Grampian Sexual Health @ The Health Village who will be able to advise you on emergency contraception. Emergency contraception should be taken within 72 hours of the attack.

You may also be concerned about contracting a sexually transmitted infection and will be able to discuss testing with staff at The Health Village.

You can contact Grampian Sexual Health @ The Health Village on: 0345 337 9900


Grampian Sexual Health at the Health Village


There are a large number of support services you can call or visit.

112 Crown Street, Aberdeen, AB11 6HJ
Tel: 01224 590932. A local number available between 9am to 5pm.

Tel: 08088 01 03 02. Free to call any day between 6pm and midnight.

Phone: 0808 801 0301 (Helpline Open Mon - Fri, 10am - 4pm)
Helpline for Scotland providing support to women from minority backgrounds who have been affected by violence against women. Support is available in English, Urdu, Arabic, Bangla and Swahili. Service also runs a VAW awareness programme.

mygov.scot have compiled a comprehensive guidance pack including advice on:

  • practical things to think about after an assault
  • how rape and sexual assault can affect people
  • how rape and sexual assault is investigated and prosecuted
  • meanings and court procedures


Rape and Sexual Assault are Criminal Offences.

If you're thinking of reporting to the police, Rape Crisis have produced a useful list of things to think about.

The police have specially trained officers who are available to assist you and you can be confident that your complaint will be taken seriously.  

You can call the police non-urgently to report something of concern or even discuss a situation on 101 or contact the Rape Crisis Scotland National Helpline on 08088 01 03 02 (daily 6pm-12 midnight). In an emergency always call 999.

You can also report the incident anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111


Report a Crime


  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. The purpose of this system is to provide support in the event of sexual violence or harassment. You can also choose to make an anonymous report.
  • First Responder Scheme. Our support also system includes specially trained members of Robert Gordon University’s staff who can listen and offer support.
  • Student Counselling & Wellbeing Centre. The Counselling & Wellbeing Centre is here to help and support you throughout your time at University.
  • Employee Assistance Programme. The EAP service offers confidential independent help, information, and guidance to University staff. It is accessed by telephone or web portal and is totally confidential. The Helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to employees. It also allows for up to six face-to-face counselling sessions, offered near the caller’s home or place of work.


  • RGU Nightline is an anonymous, confidential, non-judgemental and non-advisory listening and information service run for students by students. Call: 01224 26 36 46. Lines are open 8pm – 8am during term time.
  • Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. You don't have to be suicidal. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Breathing Space where experienced advisors will listen and offer information and advice. Call their Helpline number: 0800 83 85 87 Opening hours: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am

There are two ways you can report something