WHAT IS RELATIONSHIP ABUSE? You can read more about what relationship abuse is.


Make yourselves safe

If you are at home or in the home of someone else – has the attacker gone? If not, can you make yourselves safe, contact a friend or family member or call the police? If either of you are in any danger or seriously injured call 999 immediately.

If possible, try and find somewhere you can both feel safe.

If you need a safe space or support from the University, on or off campus, call the Emergency Response Team on 07854 199020.

This number is available 24 hours a day for University Staff, University Students or other informants who need to report a serious incident that requires immediate and urgent response by the University.

The Safe Taxi Scheme. This scheme has been set up so that students and staff can get home safely - if you don't have any cash, you can pay the fare the next day. Call Rainbow City Taxis on 01224 878787 and order a taxi using the 'Safe Taxi' account name, and tell the operator your university and your student number.

Does the survivor have any injuries?

If the survivor has any physical symptoms after an assault you should seek medical help.

If they have more than a very minor injury, or were unconscious for even a short time, you should take them to Accident and Emergency.


If someone you know has experienced relationship abuse, it is important that you listen to them, and be open to what they are telling you. Try not to ask for a lot of detail, and make it clear that you are ready to listen. Offer practical support, such as directing them to the online Report and Support system, or providing details of specialist support services.

For more detailed guidance of how to support a friend who is experiencing relationship abuse, visit Here.


There are a large number of support services you can call or visit who you can talk with.

  • Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline
    Phone: 0800 027 1234 (24 hour service) 
    Provides confidential information and support to anyone affected by forced marriage or domestic abuse.
  • Safer Scotland
    Phone: 0800 027 1234 (Domestic Abuse Helpline)
    If you, or someone you know, is experiencing violent, abusive, or controlling behaviour, support is available. A range of specialist numbers are also provided. Chat online or email options also available.
  • Scottish Women's Aid
    Phone: 0131 226 6606 
    Provides advice, support and safe accommodation for women (and their children) who have been abused by their partner or ex-partner. They can recommend local groups.
  • Victim Support Scotland
    Phone: 0345 603 9213 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm) 
    Provides information and support for victims and witnesses of crime.
  • AMIS (Abused Men in Scotland)
    Phone: 0808 800 0024
    Supports men who are experiencing or have experienced domestic abuse. Call the confidential helpline (it's free to call from landlines and most UK mobiles, and doesn't appear on itemised phone bills)
  • Men's Advice Line
    Phone: 0808 801 0327
    For men experiencing domestic abuse from their current or ex-partner
  • mygov.scot Practical advice and Relationship Abuse Support

Supporting a survivor can be difficult and it's OK to take time and space for yourself sometimes. It's important not to betray a survivor's trust by telling others about their experiences without their permission, but you can talk confidentially to and get specialist support from the services mentioned above.


  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. The purpose of this system is to provide support in the event of sexual violence or harassment. You can also choose to make an anonymous report.
  • First Responder Scheme. Our support also system includes specially trained members of Robert Gordon University’s staff who can listen and offer support.
  • Student Counselling & Wellbeing Centre. The Counselling & Wellbeing Centre is here to help and support you throughout your time at University.
  • Staff Lifeworks Employee Assistance Programme. The EAP service offers confidential independent help, information, and guidance to University staff. It is accessed by telephone or web portal and is totally confidential. The Helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to employees. It also allows for up to six face-to-face counselling sessions, offered near the caller’s home or place of work.

  • RGU Nightline is an anonymous, confidential, non-judgemental and non-advisory listening and information service run for students by students. Call: 01224 26 36 46. Lines are open 8pm to 8am Tues, Wed, Fri & Sat during term time.
  • Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. You don't have to be suicidal. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Breathing Space where experienced advisors will listen and offer information and advice. Call their Helpline number: 0800 83 85 87 Opening hours: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am

There are two ways you can tell us what happened